November 21, 2011

More Chestnut Stuffing!

Since Thanksgiving is this week, I wanted to post this fabulous recipe for Chestnut Stuffing again. It's by far my favorite recipe for the holidays and I promise you everyone will go crazy over it, vegans + omnivores!
I posted this recipe last year, and got incredible feedback. It's totally up to you if you want to use the puff pastry or not, it's great both ways. And thanks again to my mom for sharing her killer recipe!!!

Chestnut Stuffing with Puff Pastry

½ cup oil
1 cup soy butter
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
8-10 cups day old bread, cubed
2 T. poultry seasoning
1-2 cups peeled, roasted chestnuts
2-3 cups Better Than Bouillon No Chicken stock
1-2 sheets of vegan puff pastry
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat the oil and half of the butter in a large pan. Saute the celery and onion until translucent. Add the bread cubes and stir to evenly distribute the oil and butter mixture. Add the remaining butter and season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer the bread mixture into an oven safe serving dish. Add the chestnuts and vegetable stock. Top with puff pastry and bake at 400˚ for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
 
Gravy

2 T. canola oil
2 T. soy butter
¼ cup grated carrots
¼ cup diced onion
2 T. flour
2 cups Better Than Bouillon No Chicken stock
1 cup soymilk
½ cup vegan sour cream
3-4 T. soy sauce
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat the oil and butter in a medium saucepan. Saute the carrots and onion until translucent. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the stock, followed by the soymilk, sour cream and soy sauce. Let it come to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I'll have lots more to share with you later this week on the other dishes I'll be serving!

2 comments:

Laure said...

Thanks for the share !! I will try that !!!

Claire said...

I love chestnuts
I have to try your recipe!