November 7, 2011

Chicago Vegan Mania

I still have more to share from my last trip to New York, but yesterday I attended Chicago Vegan Mania and I couldn't wait to post about it! 

It took place in a beautiful building, covered with ivy, in Pulaski Park.
I spent most of my time in the food area :) My husband and I stopped at each of the booths and sampled all kinds of vegan treats. Although, some of the lines were so long that we couldn't try everything.

We started with a slider from The Chicago Diner, not pictured. It was so crowded that we had to eat while standing in line, so I don't have pictures of everything, unfortunately. 

Then we shared a Chicago style hot dog from Drew's Eatery.
Where they also sell Pickles on a Stick!!!
And best of all...Nachos from Upton's Naturals. They debuted their Italian beef style seitan at the event, paired with Food for Lovers queso, it was heaven. My omnivore (hopeful pescetarian) husband was in love. That should tell you all you need to know. Non-vegan approved. I have a jar of this spicy vegan queso in my refrigerator right now - it's amazing!
For dessert, I had Chocolate Raspberry Truffles from Canary Confectionary. These blew my mind. So rich, chocolatey, sweet and decadent. 

Urban Vegan had too long of a line, but the Orange Chicken sounded amazing. And I'm lucky enough to have Soul Vegetarian's Mac + Cheese on a regular basis, so I went for the new-to-me vendors.

I also got to see my friend, Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart of Vaute Couture. If you don't know of this company, they design and create beautiful vegan winter coats, as well as tees, tanks and accessories.

It was an amazing event, full of vegans and non-vegans and the best of Chicago's vegan eats and vegan friendly businesses and organizations. If you're in the area next year, I highly recommend it!

No comments: